Friday, December 18, 2020

Shop til you drop

We have been without a shopping center since July. While we still had several local grocery stores to choose from, it was still an inconvenience to be without an easily accessible array of shops. I have had to travel further to purchase things, like replacing the bowls that I broke and new clothes for my son because he refuses to stop growing. The store I missed the most was the import store, which carries many food items that are hard to find other places.

After months of waiting, lots of peeking and wondering, as well as heaps of anticipation, the Hikarigaoka IMA shopping center reopened. My husband was gifted preview tickets by a friend, giving us early access to the 4 floors of refurbished real estate. I was very grateful for this special experience, otherwise I would have waited an entire week after opening to go because, although I was super excited for the shopping center to open, I wasn’t going to deal with the crowds.

With the preview tickets, only 200 people were allowed into the building every 30 minutes. To our delight, we were in the very first group, meaning there was hardly anyone in the building (after we waited in a short line to get inside)! 


We immediately headed for the basement, where food stalls live. Some shops had left, others moved, and there were several new places for us to try below ground. As we wandered up and down the aisles, we took note of the many changes. Our first stop was at the chicken counter to order a whole chicken for Christmas dinner. I typically roast a whole chicken for holidays here, but since they are rarely found in regular grocery stores, we just had chicken thighs at Thanksgiving.


We were excited to learn that not only did my much relied upon import store move to a bigger space, a second import store moved into the basement as well. In Seattle, we know Kinokuniya as a bookstore, but here it is an import store offering all kinds of special treats for foreigners and locals alike.

Upstairs we found a variety of both old and new. There were new clothing and housewares shops. We were pleased to find our much appreciated family owned stationary store and my favorite dish shop. My husband was most excited to see the entire 4th floor was redone to house a food court - something much needed in his opinion.


There are several new restaurants as well, which I think we desperately needed. I’m excited to try them out. All in good time.

There are still several areas that have not opened up yet. So, we still have lots to look forward to, including a Starbucks! While I may only drink 10 or so Starbucks beverages a year, it is a place of comfort for me. It always has been. When I lived in Osaka many, many years ago, I would travel almost an hour each way to sit in a Starbucks and have a mental break from the exhaustion of living abroad. It was my escape. But I’ve never had one close to me here (whereas in Seattle, I don’t think I’ve ever lived less than half a mile from one). I hope it will have comfy chairs that I can read in while sipping my beverage of choice.


Since it has reopened, it has been so nice knowing that most of what I need is ready for me over at IMA. I don’t have to bike 20 minutes or longer to go to a big shopping center. Now, if only we could get a bookstore that sold English books in the neighborhood... I’d be set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...