Sunday, July 19, 2020

It felt like a vacation

Late last night, my husband ran a quick errand to the video store.  The forecast said we were going to have the 21st straight day of rainfall and we were preparing to stay inside yet again.  I just finished reading the classic, James and the Giant Peach, to my son.  So, we were going to watch the movie.

But when we woke up, the sun was shining and the day was calling us outside.

I quickly did a load of laundry.  When the sun is out, you need to put everything out on the line.  Not only did the sheets get washed, the comforters and quilts were aired out as well.

As soon as our chores were done, we headed out for an adventure.  We rode our bikes over to Toshimaen, the classic little theme park.  Toshimaen is set to close at the end of August, making room for a Harry Potter theme park.  It is a bittersweet goodbye.

While the boys rode a couple ride (with vehicles wiped down between each rider and only every other seat filled), I wandered over the Giant Step to grab burgers for lunch.  We enjoyed a lovely outdoor lunch on the park premises before I headed off to do some shopping.

The boys returned in the late afternoon, just about the time I was ready to head out again.  This time we just hopped over to Hikarigaoka Park.  

I picked up food for a picnic while doing my shopping.  That way we could enjoy the rest of the day in the park.

My son received a slack line for his birthday.  A slack line is similar to a tightrope.  He has been eager to use it, but with the rain, it has mostly sat in the closet.  I've never seen one in Japan, and it proved to be quite the attention getter at the park.


By the time we returned home, we had spent the entire day outside.  It felt like a vacation after the last few months we've had.  Spending the day with my boys, outside, and feeling the sunshine, was incredibly rejuvenating.  Just what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...