Monday, July 20, 2020

After school care

The school offers kids and families after school care.  The program has the kids do their homework (staff is available if kids need help or have question), then kids can play until 5 pm.  Of course, the kids can go home earlier if they want.  We pay just ¥500 ($4.67) per year for this service.

Activities at the after school program, called Hiroba (he-ro-baa), can be indoor or outdoors.  Kids can play games, do crafts, and use the playground equipment.

Our son has been begging to go to Hiroba.  I've been resistant to let him for several reasons.  1) I don't think he needs to spend more time at school than he already is.  2) When it is raining, the kids are spending even more time inside in a large group.  3) I miss him!

Knowing that he is desperate to play with friends, I finally relented.  Today, he was allowed to stay after school and enjoy Hiroba.  

Previously, my husband filled out extra paperwork to get a card that would be used to check in and out of the program, notifying us when he entered and exited.  This notification system will make me a little less stressed because I will know he is at school and not just wandering the streets of Tokyo.

Shortly before 5, we were expecting an email, but instead my husband received a phone call.  The first day of Hiroba resulted in an injury.  Our son fell off the jungle gym.  My husband hopped on the bike and quickly rode over to retrieve our son.  By the time he arrived, our son was mad.  He wanted to keep playing.  

When he arrived back home, I got a full report.  First he did homework.  Then he played some games - both by himself and with friends.  Finally, they were playing outside when his hands slipped on the jungle gym and he went crashing down.  After brushing himself off, he went to exit the play structure and bonked his head once again.  It was not a proud moment.

He is looking forward to going again.  Hopefully next time it doesn't end in an injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...