Tuesday, July 21, 2020

A special test at school

I feel like I should be used to being thrown for a loop by now.  But, it doesn't seem to matter how long I live here, there continues to be stuff that just surprises me.

Long ago the government figured out it was easiest to have kids tested for certain diseases and have basic medical check ups at school instead of going to a doctors office.  Thanks to universal healthcare for children, we don't pay anything for these doctor consultations.

While in kindergarten, my son brought home a parasite test.  Thankfully, he doesn't have to do that one again.  However, today the school gave my son supplies for a urine analysis to test his kidney function.  

He brought home a little tray and squeeze bottle, as well as a plastic bag and label.  


First thing in the morning he has to pee in the little cup.  Then either his dad or I have to squeeze a small amount of his urine into the bottle that already has the label affixed to it.  The bottle is then tied into the plastic bag.  Our son will then take the bottle back to school for analysis.

While I think it is nice that I don't have to pull my son out of school for basic healthcare checks, it is still eye brow raising that I have to send my son to school with a small bottle of his pee.

I'm just super grateful that they no longer require a piece of poop!  My husband had to do that when he was a kid!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...