Monday, May 7, 2018

I need to do what???

My son brought home a newsletter from school the other day.  We get a lot of paperwork from school, so I just put in on the pile for my husband to read and convey as needed.  When he got home and read through the paperwork, he burst out laughing.  He turned to me and said "we have to check our son for threadworms!"

So many things ran through my mind.  What exactly were threadworms?  What do they do to a person?  Why have I never heard of them before?  Are they a common problem in Japan?

It turns out that threadworms are small, thin, white, thread-like worms that can infect the intestines of a human.  Threadworms can be very irritating, often creating an itchy bum.  Rarely do they do anything beyond that.  I haven't heard of them before because, frankly, they aren't very common these days.  They used to be a big problem, and for that reason Japan has required testing of school children since before World War 2!  However, it's no longer a very common issue.  I read somewhere that nowadays only 3% of people tested positive.  In fact, Japan no longer requires school children to be tested, but leaves it up to the individual school to choose if they want to require the test or not.

The test entails a parent putting a piece of tape on the child's bum two mornings in a row.  The tape will lift any parasite eggs and allow for a quick diagnosis.  If positive, the entire family takes a prescription and improves their hygiene habits.


Since Americans don't have any medical procedures that are done at school or required by the school, (except for immunizations, as far as I know), I find this to be very strange and a bit beyond weird.  Not only do I "need" to subject my son to a test for something he isn't showing signs for, but I am required to share his personal health information with the school?  This prospect really challenges me.  I am wondering how much do I really need to conform?  Do I just do the test to not make ripples?  Or do I refuse and become "that mom?"

It is always such a balance.  Of course, if I was in the states, there would be other quandaries about being complacent versus problematic.  It's never easy being a parent, at home or abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...