Saturday, June 6, 2020

Tiny bento

Today, we decided to venture out of our neighborhood for the first time in about 3 months.  In fact, all three of us have not been on a train since early March, when my husband started working from home (weeks before the state of emergency was declared)!  But, we didn't get on a train today either.  We decided to go to Ikebukuro by bike.

While 10 km (6.2 miles) each way may not seem very far to some people, to 2 - 40-something year old's that haven't exercised much in months, it was a little daunting.  However, in order to progress in my projects (more on that later), I needed to go to a fabric store.  After asking around, we realized that the fabric selections in Nerima were pretty slim.  Nippori, also known as fabric town, is 14 km away.  For purely geographical reasons, a large fabric store, called Yuzawaya, in Ikebukuro was our destination.

I saw many familiar sights as we pedaled down the street.  Places we've never actually stopped and visited, only seen from a bus window as we whizzed by.  One such place is a bright yellow, teeny, tiny bento shop.


We have ridden past the shop many times on our various treks to Ikebukuro on the bus. It stands out, not just because of the bright yellow painted exterior, but because it is really, really tiny!


I don't know why the little grab-and-go restaurant intrigues me so much, but it does!  My husband says it borders on obsession.  But this take-out restaurant is probably smaller than my bedroom.  Food trucks don't mystify me nearly as much, but the brick and mortar shop does.

We only paused long enough for me to take a couple photos.  We weren't in the market for bentos.  So, the obsession continues.


I've searched online for it and have found nothing other than it used to be a different restaurant called Kikuya.  When the building was repainted, the Kikuya sign was removed and now a (much smaller) sign reads "Homemade Bento".

I am now confident in my ability to ride my bike to Ikebukuro.  So, I will most likely actually go to this mysterious little shop someday in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...