Tuesday, March 5, 2019

A bit of cloth

As soon as my friends found out that I quilt, they told me about Nippori, a street in Tokyo nicknamed Textile Town.  I have wanted to go ever since, but have been nervous to go since it sounded so overwhelming. 

Since moving to Tokyo, I have not sewn very much.  I made bags for my son and other little things here and there.  I didn't bring my sewing machine or any of my quilting supplies, so making a quilt really was the furthest thing from my mind.  In fact, my husband bought me a new machine just so I could make the bags!

Then a dear friend got pregnant and I yearned to make her baby a quilt.  She and her husband have visited us in Japan and we travelled here together many years ago.  I immediately imagined a Japanese themed quilt.  I wanted this quilt to capture the memories of our friendship along with the joy this baby will bring.

I went to the local Craft Park and found lovely fabrics to make this special quilt.  My son eagerly helped me pick fabrics.  I went home and got busy.  It took me a few days to complete (I can do it that fast when my son is at school).  With each stitch, I knew the intent of the quilt was coming to fruition. 


Since the completion of the baby quilt, I have been itching to sew more.  I wanted to create.  So I grabbed some tenugui that I had laying around and made pillows.  The feeling didn't wane, and I wanted to sew more.  However, I didn't have very much fabric laying around.  My stash is still in the states!

My stepmom is the person who taught me how to quilt.  I had returned from living in Japan 16 years ago and she decided I needed a project to occupy myself while I looked for a job.  So, it was very fitting that she and I would explore Nippori together. 

After dropping my son off at school, we took the train to Nippori Station.  There were several signs pointing us toward Textile Town, which starts only a few blocks from the station. 


We knew we had arrived because the fabric stores spill into the streets.  Carts filled with pieces of fabric and buttons were stationed outside the picture windows, enticing people inside. 


We had a great time wandering down the street.  There were so many specialty shops, but many general shops as well.  I couldn't believe the shear volume of textiles and accessories.  We enjoyed the button shops, leather stores, and more fabric than we've ever seen in a single area before.  I read somewhere that this street holds the largest collection of Japanese made textiles in all of Japan.  There were so many fabrics with Made in Japan printed on the edge, I totally believe this claim. 


We spent a few hours shopping.  I had to restrain myself so I didn't come home with a humungous stack of material.  But I did find some fabric for a new project.  I can't wait to get going once again!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...