Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Is the end near

There are talks about removing the state of emergency.  The Japanese government has already removed the edict for 39 of the 47 prefectures.  They say they might remove it for even more prefectures as early as tomorrow.

Using a simple calculation of how many new cases are diagnosed in the past week (less than .5 new cases per 100,000 people), government officials determine if the area is out of immediate danger.

Tokyo is not yet being considered for lifting the state of emergency, along with 2 other prefectures, as our numbers are still too high.

In addition to new cases, government officials are also monitoring capacity to provide medical services and how tracking systems are working (called polymerase chain reaction tests).  I wonder if these will be used to reinstate the orders, if needed.

I am hopeful that we are turning the corner.  But I am also afraid to be hopeful.  My son asks daily if Covid 19 is getting "bigger" or not.  I tell him what I know - the numbers are getting smaller, but we still need to be careful and do our best to not spread germs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...