Saturday, April 25, 2020

Still renting in Japan

Just in case you were wondering, movie rental shops still exist.  Just because Blockbuster went under, doesn't mean the rest of the world goes without.

Today we popped by the local video store, Tsutaya (t-sue-ta-ya).  It is actually a bookstore, not a video store.  However, in every Tsutaya I have been in, the first floor was dedicated to books, magazines, and stationary, while the second floor is video rentals.


Being homebound, we've greatly relaxed our tv watching limitations.  So we made a quick list of videos to seek out and headed over.  That way we wouldn't spend a lot of time browsing.

Last time I lived in Japan, the video store was a lifeline for me.  When I needed a break (and couldn't get to the closest Starbucks), I would rent a video.  It was a little escape to someplace fun or interesting whenever I needed one.


Tonight I am re-watching one of my all time favorite movies, You've Got Mail.  It makes me feel a range of emotions, including gratitude for not having to deal with dial-up anymore!  Every time I turn it on, I'm sucked right into the story.  My husband loves to watch it because I misquote it all the time - attributing a quote to You've Got Mail that is actually from Forest Gump (Birdie didn't buy stock in some fruit company, instead she bought Intel at 6!).  Whatever gets him to watch it again is fine with me.

It may have taken us almost three years to walk into Tsutaya, but in this super crazy time, I'm so glad it is there, offering its services of escaping reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...