Monday, February 24, 2020

Put a nail in it

Living in a small house without a yard has it's drawbacks.  I know I should be grateful for what I have.  After all, many people in Japan don't even have the small area I do have.  But, I have a kid who loves to run around, get dirty, and try new things.  While it is always great to go to a park, not having our own space to just explore possibilities is really hard for our family.

Since my son loves to build things and participate in anything classified as construction, I decided to be a bit bold and let him do a construction project in our courtyard.  I was a bit worried about all our neighbors and the noise we would create.  Would they be very bothered?  Would they complain?  I wasn't sure.

The home improvement store, Shimachu, didn't have any kits to build bird houses or the like, so I came up with a plan on my own using scrap wood they had for sale.  My son could build a peg board that he can play with.

He was very excited to use the new saw and hammer we bought for the project.  We left all of our tools in the US.  So, everything needed to be purchased.

He measured the 1"x2" piece and cut it in half to make two long feet under the board.  He then cut off a small amount of the larger board to make it the size we wanted.


After nailing the feet to the board, he got busy with hammering in all his pegs into the top.  He was very careful to make sure he didn't hammer them all the way through the board.  As he pounded nail after nail, I glanced around to make sure no one was looking out their windows or scowling at us.  No one even seemed to notice.


He had so much fun sawing and hammering.  And now he has a new toy to play with.  As soon as it was finished, he brought it inside and found my collection of rubber bands.  He quickly made a camera, trains, a few letters, and even a fancy control panel.


I felt bad when I had to call him away to eat his dinner because he could have easily played with it for a very long time.  I'm sure he'll be back at it tomorrow.

I think as long as we don't make hammering a regular thing, or just make sure we don't do it at inopportune times, we have lots of small construction projects in our future.  I keep trying to make sure my son has experiences that I value and he appreciates despite having some extra hurdles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...