Thursday, February 27, 2020

Breaking news

I was scheduled to attend a PTA meeting at the school today.  When I dropped my son off, I was notified that I would need to wear a mask during the meeting to prevent the spread of Coronavirus.  They would also be opening all the windows in the gym and setting up the seats with space between each chair to reduce contact between the attendees.

When I (through the help of a friend) asked why all these precautions were being taken for parents attending a meeting, but not for the kids who were going to the school, I was met with a surprised look from the principal.  She then replied that since they were a public school, they had to wait for the judgement of the ward.  So far they had not received any directions regarding children wearing masks or doing any other preventive measures.

I attended the meeting, wearing my mask and my jacket, since it was pretty cold in the gym.  It really wasn't a big deal.

Later this evening, we received breaking news from the news media.  Prime Minister Abe has asked all elementary, junior, and senior high schools to close for the remainder of the school year.  To help stop the spread of coronavirus in children, he wants all kids out of school through the end of March.

Tomorrow I will find out what our school has decided.  The anticipation is excruciating.  Living through SARS, H1N1, and many other serious illnesses (not all reaching pandemic levels) has not been as stressful as Coronavirus (Covid-19).  Maybe it is because I'm a mom?  I really don't know the difference.  But it is really freaking me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...