Friday, February 28, 2020

Low supply of essential items

When Covid-19 (Coronavirus) first became a concern in early February, everyone rushed to the stores and bought up all the masks.  And I mean, all the masks!  I still don't see them in the stores.  It is to the point that there isn't even a space for them anymore.  There are still signs hanging in the general area, but other health aids have taken up residence on the shelves.

With yesterday's announcement by the Prime Minister recommending all elementary, junior high, and high schools should close for the entire month of March (the end of the school year is the middle of March, so it is basically a two week closure butting up against a two week scheduled vacation), people have gone into stockpiling mode.  In addition to this announcement, Hokkaido has declared a state of emergency and has asked everyone to voluntarily quarantine themselves from today through March 19.

I didn't know what to expect, but when I swung by the drug store this afternoon to pick up some toilet paper - they were all out!  I did not see a single roll in the store I was in, and the park moms shared in our Line group that the biggest store in the neighborhood, IMA, was also sold out.

This store is out of masks and antiseptic.
Not listed on the sign - toilet paper was also sold out.  
Usually all these racks are full!
I think part of the stockpiling is due to the local schools listening to the Prime Minister's recommendation and closing their doors effective Monday.  My son's kindergarten has decided to stay open at the moment, but that could change at any time.

I'm sort of in a daze about the whole thing.  It feels as if I am dreaming.  So many things are unclear and out of my control.  I am focused on getting organized in case my son's school closes.  Science projects, art, reading/writing, and games are my main objective.  I will control what I can, and for me, that is being prepared to be indoors for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...