Thursday, January 16, 2020

Fear of doctors

Just imagine for a moment that you are having a medical emergency.  Chest pains.  A broken bone.  Whatever it is, you need medical attention and fast.  Then imagine that your doctor speaks another language and you can't convey what ails you beyond pointing and playing a guessing game.

Even when and if you are able to get your primary complaint taken care of, how do you ask questions?  How do you make sure you are doing the proper aftercare?  Do you need to go back for a follow up appointment?

Any time I even consider consulting a medical professional about anything, these questions come to mind.  It is a huge concern for me, to the point I have turned into the mom saying "be careful" repeatedly to my kid even though I used to say "trust your body" and "listen to yourself."

Of course, there are lots of medical professionals in Japan that do speak English.  But I don't always have knowledge of them.  And just because they report themselves as being able to speak English, doesn't always mean we can freely communicate.  When someone speaks to me in very hesitant English, I choose my words carefully.  I often have questions that go unanswered because I don't want to press them or make them feel even more uncomfortable than they already are.

I understand this is my problem and I just need to learn better Japanese.  But it is also a very valid fear.

I am always so grateful to find medical professionals that speak (even just a little) English.  And I am very, very lucky that my husband goes out of his way to help me out with taking me to doctors appointments whenever he can.

Nevertheless, I find myself procrastinating on making regular health checkup appointments based on this fear.  These appointments are all about communication and making sure everything is alright.  Since passing the two year mark of residency, I can no longer just wait for returning to America for complete checkups for me and my family.  But I want to be able to talk freely and ask about anything that comes to mind.

I'm fine if my husband has to take time off of work to take our son to the doctor.  After all, that is what I always did when I was a working mother.  It is part of the job description of a parent.  But, I don't want him to have to do the same thing for me.  It goes beyond my comfort zone of independence.

With enough research, I hope I am able to find a medical professional that I feel totally comfortable with for myself and my family.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...