Wednesday, December 18, 2019

The sweet stuff

I like sweet potatoes.  I do not appreciate the infamous, doused in sugar and topped with marshmallows that American holiday gluttony is made of.  But I am a huge fan of the vegetable itself.  I am always looking for new ways to utilize the tuber.

When my son got to dig for sweet potatoes at a local farm, we made sweet potato rice.  It was a huge hit and we've made it several times since.  We also used his fresh sweet potatoes to make chips.  Freshly made chips are super, super tasty.

I asked other moms what they did with the potatoes that were brought home by the kids.  Many reported that they made sweet potato rice, just like us, but I also heard about soup and dried sweet potatoes.  Wait...  What?  Dried sweet potatoes?  I didn't get it.

Soon I was gifted with samples of dried sweet potatoes, called hoshi-imo.  They were soft and delicious.  I couldn't figure out how they were made.  Even when they told me first the potatoes are steams, then sliced, and finally dried; I couldn't wrap my mind around it.  I just had to try to make it myself.

I was able to buy some really nice sweet potatoes at Mart Shiroyama.  From there, my friend gave me a walk through in how to make the hoshi-imo.  I steamed the washed potatoes in my Instant Pot for 20 minutes and allowed it to release its pressure naturally.  I could have also steamed the potatoes on the stove or used my steam oven.


I let them cool enough that I could handle them without getting burned.  I cut them skin and all into thick slices.  I guess most people remove the skin, but it helps to keep their shape and it provides extra nutrients.  My son then helped to lay the slices out in a single layer inside a special net we bought for sun drying fruit outside.  It helps to keep bugs and birds away from the fruit.


We then hung the net outside.  It has to be cold and sunny to properly preserve the potatoes.  If it is too warm, the potatoes will mold (according to my friend).  Luckily, we've been having cold weather all week.


It only took 3 days for our potatoes to dry to the right consistency.  If they were bigger, they would probably require more drying time.  Now it is time to enjoy them!  They are gently sweet, a bit sticky, and very unique.  I want to eat them again and again.  And so does my son!


Even though I originally thought it was a bit strange, the dried sweet potatoes have won me over.  I am officially a fan.

************************
Hoshi-imo (dried sweet potatoes)

- sweet potatoes, however many you want
  1. Wash the potatoes.
  2. Steam them using a pressure cooker (20 minutes with natural release), on the stove, or in a steam oven until very tender.
  3. Let cool to warm.
  4. Peel, if desired.
  5. Slice into 1/4 inch slices.
  6. Lay out on rack or net so none of the potatoes are touching.
  7. Set outside in the sunshine.  The temperature outside should be cold enough to require a jacket.
  8. When dry, but still a bit sticky, bring inside and store in a container.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...