Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Soup and chips

One of the best things about soup is that there really isn't a recipe!  Nabe, a simple soup typically made at the table.  It can be as fancy or as simple as you want.

Since I have a bunch of daikon, I decided nabe would be a good dinner.  I put some sake and kombu (a type of seaweed) into a pot of water.  After bringing it to boil, I removed the kombu and added chicken drumettes.  I also put daikon, carrots, and sunchokes in it.  I've never seen sunchokes in Japan before, but I find lots of special and unique ingredients at my favorite organic produce shop, Mart Shiroyama.  After boiling for 20 minutes, I tossed in some daikon greens. 


The nabe was ready to eat.  I grabbed the ingredients and put them in a bowl without any broth.  I then poured some ponzu (citrus soy sauce/vinegar) on top.

Dinner was simple, delicious, and nutritious.  It also used a lot of daikon!

Earlier in the day, my son suddenly requested we make sweet potato chips.  We still had a couple sweet potatoes from his special school trip, so it was an easy request.  My husband used to make us chips back in the US.

Working together, my husband peeled and sliced the sweet potato.


After a quick soak in water to remove the starch, my son dried off all the potato pieces with paper towels.


My husband then fried the chips and laid them on a rack.  We don't even bother salting them because they are so delicious just plain. 


Today's food may have been simple, but it was all great nonetheless.  Lots of Japanese food is pretty simple.  It is the ingredients that matter and bringing out natural flavor.  Today, we succeeded in that vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...