Sunday, December 17, 2017

Nabe in the freezing cold

There was another festival in the park near our home yesterday and today.  I am amazed at how there always seems to be something going on around here.  In my opinion, it is well past outdoor festival season because of the weather, yet they persist.  It is consistently below 10°C (50°F) during the day and often less than that, but also windy.  The wind makes it bitter cold, especially when you aren't wearing a hat.

The festival was called Nabe Matsuri.  It was a small festival with about 20 vendors selling food and a stage with entertainment.  The food vendors were selling mostly various types of nabe.  I know nabe to be the wonderful soup that is made at the dinner table.  A pot of broth simmers in either an electric pot or a single burner stove in the middle of the table.  Plates of veggies and meat or seafood are also at the table and added in shifts.  The veggies and protein are cooked, everyone scoops up the yummy goodness into their bowls and the process is repeated.  When you think you can't handle any more, rice or noodles are added for a final course.  It warms the body inside and out and is so delicious.  I haven't ever had a nabe I didn't like.


The booths sold various types of nabe and we chose two to try: a miso with oysters nabe and a lamb nabe.  Both were delicious and really helped to warm us up in the old.  The oyster nabe had a bit of blowtorched miso served on the side.  It was really different and I really enjoyed it. 


We tried to watch the entertainment, but when we were there it was a lipsync performance and didn't appeal to us. 

We bumped into a few people that we know, which was so nice.  Everyday I feel more and more like I am part of a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...