Thursday, September 26, 2019

Sandwich anyone?

Two slices of bread and something in the middle can be a meal or a snack.  It is a filling way to cope with a craving.  I grew up eating tons of sandwiches.  I have many memories of eating peanut butter and jelly or meat with cheese as a kid.

While onigiri (rice balls) reign supreme in Japan, sandwiches are easily found.  There is usually a small selection at the convenience store (typically meat with cheese, or veggie, or something a bit unconventional).  Tonkatsu (pork cutlet) sandwiches are very popular.

Cheese chicken & green perilla
Ham & potato salad
The sandwich I just can't seem to fully understand is the "dessert sandwich."  Between two slices of white bread with crusts removed sits a thick layer of whipped cream and fresh fruit.  Strawberries is the most popular fruit found inside a dessert sandwich, but mandarin slices are also common.


Of course, some places go above and beyond with their creativity. 

Grape; Cherry jam; and I forgot...
Orange; Blueberry jam with sour cream
Rum raisin; Mango; Fig; Pineapple
We decided to try the fig sandwich.  As long as I kept in mind that I was eating a dessert and not a sandwich, I enjoyed it.  But as soon as my mind went to sandwich, my brain got all confused and unimpressed.  Since I love fresh figs very much, it was strange to be so mixed in my feelings.


I think these sandwiches are definitely something people grow up loving and just keep eating.  My son is over the moon for them.  Of course you could add sugar to just about anything and he would be a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...