Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Bagel craze

Tokyoites have discovered the bagel.  Shops are popping up all over the place offering warm carbs to anyone desiring the soft, chewy rings of baked goodness.  Of course they can't just be plain New York bagels.  They have to have a little Japanese twist to them.

Lunchtime at Juno in Setagaya offers an all you can eat bagel meal.  It comes with a small entrĂ©e of fish, chicken, or pork, as well as a salad, side, and soup.  Plus, you get as many bagels as you desire.  As someone who is bagel deprived (my favorite are from Costco and I don't get them very often), I was eager to indulge in this carb-loading lunch.


Juno has a selection of bagel flavors, including honey beet, spinach, tomato curry, cheese with pepper, double chocolate, and many more.  Since we had 3 people in our group, it meant we could try lots of different flavors. 


We sat there for over an hour, taking our time eating various bagels and drinking tea.  It was a lovely little escape.  Long ago, I used to find breaks from the craziness of Japan in Starbucks.  But I don't go there very often any more.  It doesn't hold the luster that it used to for me.  But for this short time in Juno I felt a little reprieve from the stress of the city.

I hope this trend continues.  I am a huge bagel fan.  I'm hoping to see bagel sandwiches sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...