Friday, August 2, 2019

A river runs through it

A friend recently texted me to tell me about a lovely little stream near her house that she thought I would enjoy.  The shallow water wanders down a shady path.  With it being so hot, I have not wanted to leave the house.  Since I was promised shade and water, I decided today would be a good day to check out the stream. 

The stream was just a short bike ride from our house.  As soon as we pulled up, I knew why my friend had told me to check it out.  It was a breath of fresh air, practically in my back yard.

My son quickly hopped off the bike and waded into the water.  It was cool and refreshing.  It made the humidity not seem so bad. 


The water was refreshingly cool, but not too much.  We've dipped our toes in several pools recently that were too warm, reminding us of bath water.  This stream cooled us right off without giving us the chills.

Shortly after arriving, a huge black butterfly flew in front of me.  I am obsessed with these butterflies.  The first time I saw one, I thought it was a bat in the daylight!  They are larger than the palm of my hand.  I often see them in the park, but they never stay still long enough for me to photo.

My son wandered up and down the stream, finding a fountain at the top (many of these fountain/streams turn off at 4 or 5 pm each night to help fight the mosquitos) and a good size pool at the end.  He loved that there was a bridge for him to go under and several waterfalls that were short but fun.


We had a lovely time at the stream.  It was a nice break from the heat.  Unfortunately it came to an abrupt end when at 4 pm, the mosquitos came out and started attacking us.  I rushed away with 6 mosquito bites within minutes, even after using my trusty mosquito repellant!  Grrr.  Those buggers drive me bananas!

We'll be sure to head back here, but we'll exit before 4, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...