Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Dreams of green

Sometimes my husband does the sweetest things for me.  For example, he'll bring me home some flowers or do a load of laundry unexpectedly.  When he makes me a cup of tea without me asking, I feel loved.  These little things fill my heart with love and make me smile.  Every once in a while, he does something that is so sweet, I am brought to the verge of happy tears. 

Earlier in December we had on our calendar to go to Boro-ichi market.  The event started at 1:30, so we needed to leave the house by 12:30 to get there on time.  However, that morning my husband was pushing to get out the door extra early.  I figured he wanted to have lunch near our destination, so my son and I hurried to get out the door much earlier than we thought we would. 

On many of our adventures, my husband navigates and we follow him.  He does better figuring out which little streets we need to traverse in order to get to our destination.  There are many times that I need to back track because I missed a turn or went the wrong way.  I am improving my sense of direction, but I still get very distracted just checking out my environment.  The architecture and landscaping is so enthralling to me.  Since we had never been to Sekimachi, I wasn't paying very close attention to where we were after we had left my familiar territory.  I just tried to keep up with my speedy and focused husband.

After about 45 minutes, my husband pulled into a bicycle parking lot.  He hopped off his bike and with a smile said "Are you ready?"  "Ready for what?" I replied.  "Ready for the biggest plant store in Tokyo metropolitan area!"


He then took me past the cute little cafĂ© to a large outdoor area filled with plants.  Ozaki Flower Park offered a sea of green with pops of color all over the place.  I took a deep breath and exhaled pent up shoulder tension.  Plants make me happy and relax me. 


I broke away from my husband and son to wander around the rows and rows of plants by myself.  Even though it was December, there were rows and rows of edibles, like favas (grown from florescent blue seeds because they have been "treated" with both a fungicide and an insecticide) and tons of greens like kale and bok choy.


The garden store opened in doors in 1956 and has developed into a top notch store with very knowledgeable staff and an incredible selection of plants.  I saw so many varieties that I've never seen before and several plants that I had no clue what they were.  I was especially taken aback by the golden poinsettia and the double-flowered, fringed pansies.


While most of the prices were incredibly affordable, somethings were so special that they had a hefty price tag attached.  I found a couple Christmas trees that were ready to be planted in pots or the ground.  But I wasn't willing to pay ¥9,800 ($90) for one.


After a bit, I found my husband and son and after thanking him, told him I was ready to go.  "Really?  Have you been inside yet?"  Inside?  There was an inside too?  Scratch that.  I was not ready to leave.

I walked inside to find several departments - seasonal plants, succulents, orchids, and dried flowers.  There is also a ¥100 shop and a stationary store inside.  There is also an aquatic department, with lots of fish for sale, that entertained my husband and son for quiet some time while I perused the store.   


I could have cried right then and there.  Without my yard in Seattle, I often feel so disconnected from gardening.  To be in this treasure trove of growing felt like sunshine on my shoulders.

When I found my husband again, I wrapped him in a hug, telling him my thanks.  Taking me to Ozaki Flower Park was the medicine I didn't realize I needed.  The surprise of the visit made it that much better.

While I resisted buying a blueberry bush, he promised to bring me back when I was ready to buy some plants for spring planting.  Luckily in Tokyo, spring planting is a lot earlier than in Seattle.  We might just have to rent a truck to get everything back to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...