Thursday, December 27, 2018

A taste of turkey

Turkey is a true rarity in Japan.  But I have seen it.  When I saw whole birds at Costco (which I'm still practicing to say with a Japanese accent because when I use my American accent no one understands me: Caw-sue-toe-ko) I was super excited.  Of course, that whole trip for me was overwhelming for a variety of reasons.  I also saw whole turkeys right before our first Thanksgiving in Japan at an import store. 

I've always wondered how people cook these huge birds in tiny Japanese ovens.  If a home even has an oven, they are typically about the size of a microwave.  I have actually seen 1 full size oven in Japan, so I know that some people do have them.  But they are not commonplace in this country. 

So, I inquired with my friends.  How do people cook whole turkeys?  One person had the answer.  When she purchased and cooked a turkey, she cut it in half and cooked each half by itself.  I may cook a lot, but that thought never occurred to me.  I guess when you are desperate, you have to think outside the box. 

Turkey legs, however, can be randomly found around Japan.  I saw and ate turkey legs at Tokyo Disneyland.  For the small price of ¥750/$7, I was able to enjoy smoked turkey leg.  A few days before Christmas, I found turkey legs at the department grocery store.  I could have a turkey leg for Christmas for just ¥1480 ($13).  I can't believe they are cheaper at Disneyland!  That is very unusual.  Later on, I saw turkey legs at one of the delis in the department store basement for a discount price of ¥1000/$9. 


It got me thinking, where is the rest of the bird?  Why are there only legs here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...