Friday, April 27, 2018

Parting is such sweet sorrow

When you live abroad, everyone lives very, very far away.  Of course, you meet new friends, but there is nothing like the comfort of people that have known you for a really long time.  For the past week, two of our dearest friends have been staying with us.  I have loved every minute with them.  We toured around and saw some sights.  We ate until we had to loosen our belts.  And we laughed, just as we always have.  Over this week, we created new memories that we will cherish for a lifetime.  I am so very happy they came to stay with us.

Today I had to take them back to the airport.  It was time for them to go back to their lives.  After taking them as far as we could, I found myself repeating over and over "I will not cry."  But a few tears still rolled down.  My son clung to me, not wanting to say goodbye at all.  He clung tightly to me and wouldn't look at anyone until I made a joke and lighten the mood.  My husband said goodbye quickly and tersely, I think to not let himself be too venerable.  It was so hard. 

When you say goodbye to a visiting friend, it is so much more painful than a normal goodbye.  We don't know when we will be with each other again.  We hope it is soon, but that isn't guaranteed.  Sometimes even when you do have plans to see someone after a long absence, something happens and that meeting doesn't take place.  My best friend was sick when I visited the US and I'm still not over it. 


Standing there, with all the people rushing about, I wanted to make a scene.  I wanted to scream "don't go!!!"  But I know that I'm the one that left first.  And that feeling sucks.  My heart feels heavy.  My stomach burns with sadness.  My arms ache for them.  When we say goodbye it reawakens the isolation of being so far away on a daily basis.

After walking away, we went out for ice cream.  It wasn't for comfort.  It was giving us a chance to talk about our feelings before getting on the train.  My son needed the time to verbalize his sadness and I needed to validate his feelings.  There are times that the realization of the miles takes my breath away.  This is one of those days for all of us.

When we got back home, the house felt emptier.  I know it will take me a couple days to recover.  We will FaceTime soon, but it won't be enough.  We bid them farewell with heavy hearts, thankful for the special time we had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...