Tuesday, January 23, 2018

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Tokyo is know for many quirky experiences, including themed restaurants.  I am a huge fan.  I blame my husband for my level of enjoyment.  Many years ago as we prepared for our honeymoon at Disney World, he wanted to go to character meals.  I was immediately hesitant.  "Aren't those just for kids?"  I asked.  He laughed and picked a couple character meals anyway.  After all, it was part of our meal package and he is never one to let a deal escape him.

Our first meal at Disney World was lunch at the Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh and friends.  We sat down and before we knew it, Eeyore came over to say hello.  He wrapped his arms around me in a hug and I melted.  I melted into a young child filled with joy and surrounded by softness.  I was transported into the fantasy world created by Disney Imagineers.  I then proceeded to beg for more character meals while my husband mocked me endlessly.  I've been hooked ever since.  It has only increased in intensity since having a child and wanting to share the experiences with him.

A few weeks ago one of the moms from the park told me about a new theme pop up restaurant in Ginza.  It is operated by the same restaurant (at a different location) that had the wonderful Shaun the Sheep restaurant we went to in October. 

Today, my son and I dined with The Very Hungry Caterpillar, from the beloved book by the same name written by the great Eric Carle.  The restaurant was nicely decorated with various images from the book.  We sat down to fun themed placemats and a stuffed caterpillar to play with while at the restaurant. 


Although we had already drooled over the menu online, we were excited to gaze at the menu in house.  My eager son asked if he could be the one to say "sumimasen" (excuse me) to get the waitress' attention (a social norm here that takes some getting used to - you must call out to get someone to pay attention to you at restaurants).  He placed our order with ease and a bit of pride, especially when the waitress complimented him. 


We enjoyed our themed meals - his kid's set of pasta and my omelet rice with curry.  We laughed at all the caterpillars throughout the restaurant.


Once done, my son wanted to take several photos, which I happily obliged.  Then he asked for dessert.  They had several options and he voted for the chocolate cake with strawberries.  The cake continued the theme with a hungry caterpillar and a hole in the strawberry.


We enjoyed our little date.  Nothing like having a book come to life for a child, and a grownup that enjoys children's literature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...