Sunday, January 14, 2018

Sports on TV

I am not a sports person.  I could care less about most sports.  I am not one to run home to catch a game on TV and only periodically go to live sporting events.  When I go to an arena, it is to spend time with people, not because I am a fan.  I'm even usually immune to fair-weather fan enthusiasm.  There are very few exceptions to this rule.  Sumo is one of those exceptions.

Image courtesy of: japantimes.co.jp

Today there was a sumo tournament on television.  While I was taken by surprise, my husband knew it was happening.  I find this funny since he once told me only old men and foreigners like sumo.  Even though I have found several examples of Japanese women who are avid sumo fans, he sticks by his theory. 

Recently at the park, my son has been asking to play sumo.  I don't know where he learned the game, but he really enjoys it.  He kicks out and stomps his legs down just like the professionals do.  However, there are usually two winners when he plays since he doesn't really comprehend the losing part of the game.

When my husband turned on the tournament, he was greeted by two enthusiastic viewers.  We quickly settled onto the couch and began discussing everything that was happening on the television.  It was so fun to gab about the colorful kesho mawashi (decorative apron), the various ceremonies, and even cheering on a wrestler from the local sumo beya (sumo house).  The last time I was able to watch sumo in Japan, my friends were not nearly as chatty or interested in my chattiness.

While many people just see fat guys pushing each other around while wearing next to nothing, I see the many traditions and ceremonies seeped into this ancient sport.  It really is something to see.  I have high hopes of taking my son to see the sport in real life.  The enthusiastic chatter and viewing had my husband looking up tickets to a tournament.  The thought has me really excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...