Friday, September 29, 2017

Chinese and Italian

I haven't been sleeping very well.  The bed in the temporary housing is hard as a rock.  When I do sleep, I'm often woken by my son between 5 and 6 am (so thankful, as this is an improvement from 3 am like when we first arrived here).  Even though I don't get up at that time, the consistent interrupted sleep is not a good thing.  When I do get out of bed, it is slowly with a lot of stiffness.  Maybe part of it is the walking everywhere, but I blame the bed and the kid (just a little).

That said, last night I began to feel worn down and my throat felt a little sore.  Never a good sign.  So, I drank lots of tea, took my vitamins (that I brought from the US), and my son and I had a pajama day today.  Luckily, I purchased him his first set of big kid/adult Legos recently as well as some art supplies.  We watched a little TV (yay for Netflix with lots of shows in English!!!), built things with Legos using our imagination, and painted on paper plates.


When my husband got home, he declared we needed to eat some "cold fighting foods."  So, we headed out for some Chinese food.  Lots of ginger and garlic always does a body good.  Just a short walk away was a Chinese restaurant from Osaka that my husband is very fond of.  I'm sure many foreigners would walk right by it because it is down some stairs and the signage isn't very inviting. 


Once inside, we ordered gyoza (pot stickers), veggies in a garlic sauce, a tofu appetizer, and a noodle dish with seafood and veggies.  The quantity was much smaller than what you would receive in the US, but the food was delicious and satisfying.


After dinner, we wandered around for a bit and then stopped by an Italian gelato place.  I've seen several gelato places and they seem to be quite trendy right now.  But I honestly don't know if the trend is on it's way in or out.  One unique feature of the gelato shop was how you order.  There is a vending machine near the door where you purchase a ticket for what you want - single flavor, double, triple, espresso, chocolate drink, and large quantities for taking home.  You then take your ticket up to the counter where you choose your flavor and get the gelato.  They have these fantastic square cones, which I've never seen before.


Hopefully tomorrow I'll be all better, happily avoiding the cold with a little rest, relaxation, and yummy food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...