Friday, May 14, 2021

A big bite of home

For the past couple of weeks, my ear has been bothering me. It aches day and night, with very little relief. I finally had it and asked my husband to help me find an English speaking doctor. Typically, he takes me, but Fridays are very busy workdays for him and I yearn for some independence. He found one that spoke English and accepted online appointments. The only down side was that it was a half hour bike ride from our home.

Luckily, today was sunny and warm, not like the rainy day we had yesterday. So, I didn't mind the ride.

As I biked through the familiar streets between Hikarigaoka and Ooizumi, I noticed a new restaurant offering hamburgers. My appointment was just before lunch, so I thought if I was hungry on the way home I would stop for a burger.

My appointment went quickly and ended with a quick diagnosis of an irritated ear canal but no infection. I was glad to hear it wasn't a big deal, but it was also a little irritating to hear it as well. When I left the doctors office, I realized I really was hungry. A burger sounded like the perfect solution.

I had high hopes for the little restaurant, called Tomo x Tomo. They offer crepes and hamburgers, which is an interesting combination, in my opinion.


I was the only customer there, which allowed me to secure the one table they had outside. I wanted to videochat with my girlfriends in the US while I ate, and outdoor seating is the only way I can do both at the same time.

After placing my order, I dialed into the call and started chatting away. Soon my lemonade and burger arrived and my chatting stopped immediately. All of a sudden, I wasn't just on the phone with my girlfriends, I was transported to a burger joint with them by my side.


So many times, the burgers here are "Japanified", just like Chinese food in the US! When I'm looking for a taste of home, I don't want something that isn't quite right. But this avocado bacon burger... I actually stopped talking and rolled my eyes in pleasure. The Tomo x Tomo burger was right on!

For the most part, I enjoy living in Japan. But sometimes a girl just needs a bit of a break. This was just the break I needed - something to refuel the tanks. I can't wait to bring my boys back here someday because I am sure they will have a similar transcendent experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...