Friday, February 12, 2021

A solid foundation

It has been a weird week. I actually forgot what day it was multiple times. My son was sick and stayed home from school for the first time. Plus, we had a holiday mid-week.

National Foundation Day, or Kenkoku Kinen no Hi, is a day celebrating the ascension of Jimmu (the first Emperor of Japan) to the throne in 660 BC. Like many other national holidays in Japan, this day isn't met with many traditions or fanfare. I heard there is a small celebration at Meiji Shrine, but otherwise is mostly just a day off work.

My husband celebrated the day by doing our Japanese taxes, which is always a joyful experience. Just kidding. It's just as painful as doing taxes anywhere else in the world.

I swung by a shopping center to pick up food for our household. While there, I noticed a bank of arcade games (still very popular around Japan). The games had hand sanitizer stations at either end of the row as well as big plastic dividers secured between each machine. A pandemic isn't going to stop dedicated gamers from getting their fix!


Tomorrow, my son will attend another Saturday school, causing even further confusion on what day of the week it is. Hopefully next week will be more "normal".

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...