Friday, October 30, 2020

Getting out of town (Part 2 of 2)

We rose on Sunday to a lovely sunny day. It was a bit cool, but I prefer it to be a bit too cool over too hot any day. Regardless of the temperature, we were just happy it wasn't raining.

We planned on going to Izu Animal Kingdom, a small zoo. We arrived right when it opened to find only a few people lining up to go inside. This zoo is well known for letting visitors feed various animals throughout the zoo.


Our son was super excited to be able to feed giraffes, ostrich, and zebras.


He was most excited about feeding the tigers.  There were actually tiger cubs born just 3 days before our visit!  We could only see them on a tv screen, but it was exciting nonetheless.


Each feeding cost an extra bit - between ¥100 and ¥500 for every bit of food.

Although I enjoyed watching my son feed the animals. I still have difficulties going to zoos in Japan. The enclosures are often small without much enrichment, or things for the animals to do. This zoo was much better than others I have seen, but there was still lots of room for improvement.

Once we wrapped up our zoo excursion, we headed back toward home. The GPS took us on a different route. The day before, we drove south along the sea, but this time we went up into the hills. Unexpectedly, we ended up on the Izu Skyline. As my husband maneuvered the car along the curvy road, we suddenly had the most spectacular view of Mount Fuji. My son and I gasped at the majestic sight. It is so rare to get such a glorious view of the beloved mountain, we were both giddy with excitement.


After a bit, my husband found a viewpoint to pull off and get a good look. We couldn't believe our luck. Just the day before, it was rainy and we never would have been able to see such a sight.


Seeing Mount Fuji was the perfect way to end a wonderful escape from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...