Monday, July 13, 2020

More bug hunts

My son is loving all the neat beetles living in Hikarigaoka Park.  He and his dad have created a special daddy/son tradition going on bug hunts.  Recently, they joined a group of dads and kids to seek out beetles after dark.

From 8 to 10 pm they shone flashlights on trees and tried to net beetles and avoid the cockroaches.  

This time they were lucky and found another type of kuwagata, or stag beetle climbing on the trunk of a tree.


My son brought it home, happy to be able to view it for a short while.  The bugs certainly are very interesting here.  I would say it is because I didn't grow up with them.  However, beetles seem to be a national obsession for Japanese children.  


He has invested his own money into a cage in order to observe it.  It is quite interesting.  Something that I never thought I would be willing to allow these guys in my house, but they really are interesting to watch.

The beetles I can handle.  But I draw the line at the cockroaches he is now talking incessantly about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...