Friday, July 31, 2020

1,000 thoughts shared

We moved to Japan almost three years ago.  That in itself is insane to me.  Has it really been that long?

Before we boarded that plane, I decided to write a blog for several reasons.  
  1. To document the adventure for my family.  What we did and what our life was like.  
  2. For friends and family back home in the US.  Staying connected is very important to me.  Sometimes that is difficult for people, so sharing about my daily life has been nice.  
  3. To share a different perspective and show a different side of Japan.  Before I moved here in 2002, I had no clue about life in Japan.  Sharing my family's adventures has educated people about much more than just the shiny guidebook photos and websites.  I've been able to give a glimpse behind the curtain.  
  4. To disclose some really neat locales that are lesser known.  There is so much more to Tokyo than Shibuya Crossing and Meiji Shrine.
1,000 posts later, I am still living in Japan and I'm still writing about it.  When I moved here, I, honestly, didn't think I would be here almost 3 years later.  I was fully intending on spending two years here and then going right back.  But life kept going.  My husband really likes the company he works for.  My son loves his friends and school life.  And I am happy to be with my boys.  Although we all desire to go back, it is complicated, and we are happy here - for the most part.

There is still so much exploring and experiencing to be had in Japan for us.  We've barely left Tokyo, only having a couple excursions to Osaka, Nara, Kyoto, Atami, and Izu.  Oh, and an awesome trip to Mt. Fuji!  But we have yet to venture up to Hokkaido (the northern island) or down to Okinawa (known to many Americans because of its military base).

Even when we aren't traveling around, I am still constantly learning about how to live in Japan.  There are so many rules, I don't think I will ever know exactly how to behave or what to do.  I, as a westerner, will always be a foreigner here.  But it has been interesting learning everything I have.  And the process of learning has definitely transformed into some entertaining tales.

As we all know, life is never what you expect.  There are lots of curveballs and chaos beyond our control.  Covid has been... overwhelmingly life altering, to say the least.  We have hunkered down and focused on our nuclear family.  The three of us have bonded in new ways and learned to relax a bit (we've never been really good at staying home and not having a long list of things to do).  And, most noticeably, we've stayed home.  

At this juncture, I've decided to reduce my blog entries to once a week.  After 1,000 posts, I think it is time.  I will still keep my eye out for fun little factoids about living here, but will reduce my emotional vomiting posts.  And, hopefully, one day, I can write about galivanting all around this beautiful country once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...