Thursday, June 6, 2019

She went up a mountain

When talking about mountains in Japan, there is one that prevails above all others.  Mount Fuji is an icon for the people.  Not only is it the tallest mountain in Japan, standing at 3,776 meters (12,389 feet), it was inducted into a special class of World Heritage Sites in 2013.  The image of the mountain is everywhere in art, fashion, and so much more.

When I first starting asking my cousins what they would like to do while they were in Japan, one of the first things they said was "Mount Fuji!"  Since I had never been to Mount Fuji, I didn't know how to plan this or what it would entail.  When I decided to try to make this desire come true, I found a tour company that would provide all the transportation and agenda.  This way I didn't have to worry about the details.  We just had to show up and see the sight.

Although I always desired to go see the big mountain, I had never before made the effort to do so.  It just always seemed like something I would get around to at some point.  Their excitement was the catalyst for me to go forth and figure out how to get there.

We woke up in time to get out the door by 6:30 am to take the train to Shinjuku.  Our bus was leaving from a hotel in the area at 7:50 am.  Our agenda included going to the 5th Station (the highest point on the mountain that you can reach by vehicle) as well as several observation points.  Despite the early hour, we were all super excited to finally be going on this adventure. 

Growing up in the pacific northwest of the US,  I envision mountains as lush, green, and majestic.  There are rivers made from snow runoff and lots of wildlife.  I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting when we reached the 5th Station.  Honestly, I've never been to the top of a major mountain.  The images of Mount Fuji usually has some snow on top of it.  But beyond that, I didn't have a clue.  The photos I have typically seen have been from far away.  Today, I would be standing on the actual mountain. 

Riding up on the tour bus, there were lots of green trees and spectacular views.  But suddenly we reached this point where the trees disappeared and the landscape was a field of black rocks.  Right in this place of transition is where we disembarked, as it is where the road ends.


The 5th Station consists of shops and a shrine and a crowd of tourists.  It was energetic and awesome.  My gaze could not be torn away from the peak of the mountain, even when the clouds tiptoed past it again and again. 


We purchased black soft serve that contained bamboo to make it extremely black, but tasted like dark chocolate.  The flavor was so strong and spectacular. 


Our time up at the 5th Station was limited to 50 minutes.  On the one hand, it was not long enough.  I wanted to touch the rocks and go over to the shrine - two things I did not get to do.  But on the other hand, the altitude did not sit well with my body and I was feeling the headaches associated with being at 2,300 meters (7,546 feet) above sea level.  I'm sure I will never hike to the top because of this feeling. 


It was exciting to be on the mountain of Japan.  I am so glad I finally made it up there.  It will be one of those memories that last a lifetime.  Mount Fuji is now a part of me and I have a new respect for the beloved mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...