Monday, May 25, 2020

Lifting of the state of emergency

My son and I got to spend some time at the park today.  We sat in a semi-wooded area that had almost no other people in the area.  It was a nice little break after spending the morning doing his homeschooling.

Afterwards, we walked to the store to pick up some allspice, which I needed for dinner.  As we walked home from the store, we passed by some budding hydrangeas.  The flowers made me smile, as I have always loved hydrangeas.  They are plentiful around here, making the season even better.


After coming home and eating dinner, it was time to watch the news.  The government officially announced the end of the state of emergency in the entire nation.  On the one hand it is a huge relief.  On the other hand, I wonder if we are really ready.  

I saw a report today by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government that showed the number of Covid-19 tests that were administered each day since the end of January.  With over 17,000 tests On April 3, 551 people were tested.  

Will the numbers stay down?  When will the next wave of infections surface and how quickly will the government respond when that happens?  There are so many questions racing through my mind.

At this point, my family will probably stick close to what we have been doing for the last month and a half (well, longer than that) for a while longer.  I know there will be a rush to get out and see and do.  We don't need to be part of that rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...