Friday, May 15, 2020

Fresh pages

I've been wanting something positive to read.  I have been trying to read "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, but a story about a woman trapped in a world that she doesn't want any part of and yearns with all her being to be back to "normal" isn't my idea of a good story right now.

I tend to read pretty depressing books.  I'm fascinated with personal, historical stories, both fiction and non-fiction.  Stories of survival and overcoming adversity fill my shelves.  I also read a lot of "how to" books that allow me to learn new skills or dream of creating.

Oh, how I miss the library!  I might have a limited time to read the book, which can be tricky when one has a young child.  But the Hikarigaoka library has a huge selection of English books for adults and kids!  But, alas, they are closed until who knows when.

I didn't have a certain title in mind, just something that might make me laugh a bit and is a good story.  Instead of turning to Amazon (or another online vendor), I biked over to the used bookstore Book Off.  I've always had great success there finding random titles in English.  It has the best selection around.  If other shops even have English titles, the section is usually only a single shelf.


With my mask firmly in place, I sprayed my hands with sanitizer and walked into the store.  I went right to the English section and found a bunch of Japanese books.  Having no idea where they would move the section to, I walked up and down two other aisles, looking for English text on the bindings.

Not finding what I was looking for, I asked an employee for help.  Where were all the English books?  She informed me, they no longer sell English books (except textbooks to prepare for English exams) at that location.  But she could not tell me which locations still sold English books.

I was immediately frustrated beyond belief.  While I did not take it out on her, I wanted to scream.  There is something so soothing about perusing a bookshelf, imagining the stories I could dive into, worlds I could discover.  Searching online just doesn't do it for me!  It doesn't have the same satisfaction.  It isn't even about new versus used, it is about the experience of finding a book on a shelf that intrigues me enough to take it home with me.

Now I don't know where to turn to.  The other Book Off near me has never had more than 20 English titles at a time, usually less.  I'm not willing to get on a train.  It is too high risk for me.  I guess that leaves me with ordering online.  But what?  What will I get?

Will I ever finish "The Handmaid's Tale"?  Will I ever know what happens to Offred?  Who knows.  But before that can happen, I need a good laugh and an escape into a more positive world.

2 comments:

  1. Mom and I discovered Jane Kirkpatrick a few years ago. They are historical fiction. And she's from Oregon. Most of her books that I have read have been about women overcoming the adversities their lives have thrown at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check her out! Thanks for the recommendation. I appreciate it.

      Delete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...