Saturday, May 9, 2020

A kind offering

While on a bike ride with my husband and son, we passed by a bean shop.  I love these stores, filled with all sorts of bulk beans.


Since we are really trying to support local shops these days, we decided to stop and buy some beans.  It also helped that we didn't need to actually enter the store.  We just stood at the door and told the owner what we wanted.

Unfortunately he was almost out of chickpeas.  Instead of telling me tough luck, he kindly gave me what he did have (about a 1/2 cup) for free.  This always impresses me, as I would like to think that is how I would run a business if I had one.


The man was overjoyed to sell us some of his goods.  As we wrapped up the transaction, he took two disposable masks from a package and put them into a plastic bag.  He handed it over and told me "presento, presento!"

I was so taken aback by his kindness.  Masks are still in high demand and low supply, so to give them away to his customers was extremely generous.  It is little actions like these that keep my faith in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...