Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Tune in

We've been pretty much sticking to our schedule that we set up in anticipation of staying home during spring break.  But since my son has been home since March 18, the schedule has become a routine.  We like the routine.  It helps the days pass and gives us some direction.

This week we've been getting emails from the elementary school.  The email told us to have our son start the homework they sent home with him in the welcome packet.  The second email told us to have our son watch a local TV program at 8:30 am.

We had to shorten our walk in order to get back in time for the program.  For the next 30 minutes, our son watched intently to a presentation of exercises (which he also did), a statement from Tokyo's Governor, a Japanese lesson, and a math lesson.


He wasn't necessarily entranced, but he also didn't seem bored.

While most of my friends in the US are reporting online classes for their kids, this is Tokyo's version.  It reminded me of public access shows from the 1980's and 90's. I had to raise my eyebrows when they started covering how to write numbers 1 through 5.  Would all of it be this remedial?  Do they really expect the first graders to not know their numbers?

I get that the prefecture is trying to help out parents that feel burdened, but I don't feel that way.  And in my cranky attitude, I feel a bit intruded upon by a television.  Ack!  Like kids need more television!  And why does it have to be during our favorite time to walk?  And why do I have to use such a whiny voice to complain about this?

I'm sure it will be fine in a day or two.  But right now I am not enjoying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...