Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Granola time

I've been cooking even more than usual since going into quarantine over a month ago.  Many things I was already making, but some of it is to replace things that I used to buy.

I'm still making copious quantities of yogurt, using about a gallon of milk a week to make it.  I think I am still making up for lost time after not having thick organic yogurt for the first two and a half years of living in Tokyo.  But now I am making the granola that we sprinkle on top instead of buying it at Costco.

I don't buy Japanese brands of granola because it is more what I would consider to be a muesli.  Although once I found a little cafĂ© that made and packaged their own granola in Nishiwaseda.  I bought some of their packaged granola and my son and I gobbled it up.  If I'm ever in the neighborhood, I will be buying more granola at Forucafe!

My friend emailed me a granola recipe from a beloved cookbook that I didn't bring to Japan with me.  I already had all the ingredients.  With my son's help, we whipped up a batch in just a couple minutes.  He enjoys weighing everything out and being my official stirrer, which makes things go much faster because I concentrate on getting things in and out of the cupboard as well as heating items as required by the recipe.

Naturally Sweet Food in Jars by Marisa McClellan
I did substitute walnuts for pecans.

As we wrapped up the granola, I realized that I was almost out of real maple syrup from Canada.  This was a special bottle we brought to Japan with us.  It's robust flavor is perfect for baking.  While I am certainly used to living without many favorite items, some are harder than others.  Also, running out of beloved items only makes it more real that it has been way too long since I've been to the US.


I know I can replace the syrup at the import store.  It will be with a different brand and grade.  But I won't be completely out.

If I don't get around to picking any more maple syrup up at the store, I guess next time I'll have to use a different recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...