Wednesday, April 29, 2020

A complaint was lodged

Today was filled with ups and downs.  From the start of the day, my son and I were grumpy and short tempered with each other.  We'd make up and hug after a disagreement and then start quarreling very shortly thereafter.  We were just off on our rhythm all morning.  

Although it was a national holiday (Showa Day honoring the birthday of Emperor Showa), my husband had to work a half day.  By the time he wrapped up his work at noon, my son and I needed to a change of scenery.  

We decided a long bike ride was in order.  We headed out just after 12:00.  We biked for a while and then stopped to pick up some take out for lunch.  Then we biked a bit further and found a park to eat our lunch in.  After eating, we walked around the wooded area and let our son run around in an empty grassy field.  We hopped on our bikes again and rode some more.

We got home shortly before 4 pm.  Our positive attitudes had been restored and we felt refreshed by all the sunshine.  I asked if my husband and son could play outside for a few minutes to respond to a couple emails that needed attention.

They headed out to the courtyard with my son's rubber ball to play "basketball".  I had asked for 15 minutes, but they returned to the house after only 10.  My son had a sad look on his face and he told me that the woman next door (who never talks to us even when we bump into her in on the sidewalk) told him balls were not allowed in our courtyard.  


I understand this is a shared space, but I was shocked to hear "no balls allowed."  In the two and a half years we've lived here, we've never heard anything of the sort.  My husband shrugged his shoulders and said "maybe she was in a bad mood and we should just tread lightly for a week and then proceed as usual."  

While I agree with not making waves, I was mad.  Super mad, in fact.  Kids these days are having everything ripped away from them.  They aren't able to go to school.  They can't play with their friends.  They aren't even able to hang out with extended family members.  Vacations are gone.  Team sports, including my son's beloved ballet and swimming lessons, have been canceled.  Everything!!!

And now this woman was complaining about the one thing he still has - the ability to play just outside our door!  It wasn't even an obscene hour.  I never let him go out there before 9 am or after 5:30 pm.  Since there isn't a basketball hoop, his ball bouncing time only lasts for 10 to 15 minutes at a single stint.  He's been trying to teach himself to walk and dribble at the same time so he can dribble to the park someday and not worry about loosing his ball on the way.

I just wanted to scream and I could see that my son wanted to cry.  We hadn't been to the park today because of the holiday and the beautiful weather, as it gets super crowded on days like today.  But I didn't want his day to end on such a sour note.  So I gritted my teeth and said "let's go to the park!"  

I took him to a small local park that is basically a patch of dirt that we could bounce his ball in.  There were a couple other people there, so we just stuck to a tiny area in the corner.  Soon we were laughing and having a good time.

When we returned, my husband informed me that our lease said nothing about balls in the courtyard.  Instead, it said "no excessive noise or violent activities."  To me, a bouncing rubber ball for 15 minutes is not excessive or violent.  But whatever.  I shall heed my husband's advice and be quiet for a bit.  But I will also be angry with this woman for a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...