Saturday, April 18, 2020

Don't let the rain get you down

When I went to bed last night, the rain had already begun to fall.  I could hear it as I lay in my bed trying to fall asleep.  Sleep is very elusive these days.

As dawn broke, the rain was still pouring down.  Since we didn't go out at all on Friday, I wasn't going to let a bit of rain keep me inside on Saturday.  After a wonderful breakfast in bed, made by my husband and son, we got dressed for a drenching.

My husband set up the bathtub to be ready when we got home.  One of my favorite features of a Japanese bathroom is the bathtub that can be ready at a specific time!  Thank you modern technology.

My son and I headed out (my husband thought we were crazy) into the rain with smiles on our faces.  He immediately ran for any patch of water he could find.  What is it about kids and water?  Give them permission and they just go crazy with joy.


The rain fell from the sky in buckets, but we didn't care.  We ran and jumped and laughed so loudly.  By the time we got to the park, it we found a place of joy we haven't felt in some time.


We found super deep puddles, which were promptly stomped in.  We found space to scream and let out the frustrations of the current state of the world.  We found rocks to throw, that made awesome and satisfying splashes.


After almost 2 hours in the rain, it was time to come home.  Despite our rain gear, we were soaked from our splashing.  Since my husband had stayed home, he was able to greet us with towels on the floor to the bathroom where we took our hot bath.

For the rest of the day, I have felt a sense of calm.  The release of stress was cathartic.  I kept smiling every time I recalled hearing my son say "Thanks mom.  That was epic!"

The world is still a very scary place.  Playing in the rain didn't solve anything.  But even when I heard later in the day that the hospital just a few blocks from our home have confirmed a nurse is infected with coronavirus, I wasn't overwhelmed with fear.  It wasn't another block stacked on a wobbly tower.  Instead it was something to note and reenergize my diligence to safety - wash often, reduce outings, and keep in touch with loved ones via technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...