Monday, April 13, 2020

Comfort food needed, enter latkes

As I lay in bed this morning, I listened to the rain.  It was pour down so forcefully I could hear it coming down and hitting the world.  My room was cold as well, adding to the yearning to not get out of bed.  My husband, as usual, got up with our son and fed him breakfast.  I stayed curled up under the covers, reading my texts, email, and Facebook updates as long as I possibly could.

On Sundays, I can stay in bed late.  My son often cooks breakfast with my husband on Sundays and brings it up to me, along with a lovely cup of tea.  But on Mondays, I have to get up.  My husband needs to work and his office is in our bedroom.

I begrudgingly got out of bed this morning and met with a cheerful child in the living room.  My mood fit the weather - cold and miserable.  I summoned up all my energy and asked "do you want to go for a walk in the rain?"  He shrugged and said "no thanks.  I'd rather stay inside today."  Well,  I wasn't going to fight him on that one.

We turned on our favorite farming YouTube channel and watched beautiful scenes of cows being milked, eggs being collected, and kale growing abundantly while cuddling on the couch.  After an hour and a half, it was time to get moving.  We proceeded with our regular Monday schedule of cleaning, workbooks, phone calls, lunch, and math.  After math, I threw in the towel.  I had given my all.  We did a couple puzzles and played memory while watching more farm videos.  My son told me how he wanted to have a cow someday.

Although the day dragged on and on, time finally came to think about dinner.  All I wanted was comfort food.  After thinking for a moment, I decided to make latkes for dinner.  Using the food processor to shred the potatoes and onion, makes latkes quick and easy work.  My son was eager to feed everything through the food processor and mix up the batter of egg, flour, potato starch, baking powder, salt, and pepper.  I concentrated on squeezing out the liquid from the potatoes and onions before letting him combine everything.


A quick moment in the hot oil, and the latkes were done and ready to eat.  We enjoy them with a dollop of sour cream (actually plain yogurt that I make).


I served the latkes with some eggs scrambled with onion, garlic chives, broccoli, and cheese.  Dinner with super simple, but delicious.

The sun is expected to shine tomorrow.  Hopefully, my energy will be revitalized by the sunshine.  In the meantime, I will relish in the enjoyment of a scrumptious, comforting dinner.


********************
My favorite latke recipe is from smittenkitchen.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...