Saturday, March 28, 2020

Strongly encouraged quarantine

When the governor of Tokyo "strongly encouraged" a voluntary quarantine this weekend, I wasn't concerned.  I have been preparing for this slowly and steadily over the last few weeks.  It is two days, not the weeks that are being asked of for other people around the world.  Then, when my son got sick (with a stomach bug) the other day,  it became even easier for me to stay inside for a couple of days.

In all honesty, I wasn't even tempted to go outside.  Everything I have read and heard about Covid 19 has told me the best ways to combat the disease are 1) wash your hands; 2) don't touch your face; and 3) give space, meaning 3-6 feet.  While social isolation is hard, it is what is necessary right now.  I hear it and accept it.

I was curious to know if others were listening to the advice.  Some people seem to think they are immune from Covid 19.  This past week, I have noticed a huge increase of people congregating in the park when I go there in the early morning to walk.  I'm not talking about other walkers that are solitary in their endeavor.  I am specifically talking about the large groups of people playing basketball, baseball, tennis, and soccer together, as well as the picnickers.  

Hikarigaoka Park sent out a Tweet (on Twitter) notifying the public they were closed this weekend.  They even made the extra effort to barricade certain areas.

Photo credit: Hikarigaoka Park
Photo credit: Hikarigaoka Park
The news showed almost deserted streets.  The reporters interviewed a couple people that were wandering around.  One young woman reported she was going to stay home, but her friend wanted to meet.  I groaned and yelled at my television.  

This virus doesn't care what your neighbor does.  It cares what YOU do.  And if you aren't heeding the advice of doctors, you will get sick.  It is only a matter of time.

So, what did we do on day one of our two day quarantine?  We watched too much TV.  We baked banana bread.  I made several more cloth masks.  I wrote a couple postcards.  My son and I played Monopoly.  It was a laid back day.  My son thought it was great that he got to stay in pajamas all day.

Tomorrow I have a project that I know my boys will love.  *Insert evil laugh here.*

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...