Sunday, March 15, 2020

Friends not invited

After a hard day yesterday, I ended my day by doing some yoga.  Instead of heading to a studio, I dialed into Yoga With Adriene on YouTube.  This way, I was doing something good for my body (reducing stress!!!) without going to a gym.  Regardless of where I did the yoga, it really helped me to fall asleep and get a much more restful night.

This morning I woke up ready to go.  Well, go outside that is.  While I packed a picnic, my boys got everything else ready for a day at the park.  We got out the door and walked to the park.

The cherry blossoms have not made a huge appearance, so I was not expecting very big crowds.  Although, Hikarigaoka Park is a pretty popular destination every weekend, so a crowded park isn't unusual.  Despite the government encouragement of social distancing, there were lots of families in Hikarigaoka Park.  However, I did notice the groups were mostly smaller in size.  I only really noticed one group that was obviously several families.  Most of the park goers were in small groups, consisting of 2 to 5 people.


We had a lovely day at the park.  By the time we headed home, we had spent 6 glorious hours in the sunshine.

As we headed out of the park, we spotted a large sign that encouraged social distancing.

"To prevent the spreading of Covid-19 virus, parties including eating and drinking is highly not recommended"
"However, this does not mean we are not recommending picnics with families.
Due to the current Coronavirus situation, avoid forming large crowds.  Still enjoy your picnic."
Translation = If you're a family, go ahead and have a picnic.  But if you're a group of friends, abstain.

While I do think that people were doing a good job of this today, it will be interesting to see how if they are able to stay strong as the cherry blossoms reveal themselves.  It is a huge part of Japanese culture to picnic under the beautiful pink trees each year.  The annual celebration welcomes spring and gets people out of hibernation (ha, ha).

But with Covid-19, the government is deterring people from crowding into parks and packing pathways in search of the glorious sight.  Will people listen?  Time will tell.  I hope for the health of Japan, they heed this important advice.

My husband heard other local parks were packed today.  That is pretty disheartening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...