Saturday, February 22, 2020

Something to sweat in

I have begun back to school shopping.  That sounds so weird as I type it.  Back to school shopping is done in August in the states.  I'm still trying to get it into my brain that school starts in April here.  I love that they start the school year by walking under the cherry blossoms.  While it isn't fall leaves, it is a lovely image.

At a recent school orientation meeting, we received a list of things to buy.  It was a pretty short list - pen case, pencils, a red pencil, erasers, indoor shoes, gym clothes, fabric mask (for kitchen duty), scissors, a color pencil set, and some bags.  The thing that stood out the most to me was the PE uniform.  All kids need a particular white shirt, blue shorts, and a little brimless, reversible hat.

We were told to purchase the set of clothes at a local stationary shop.  While I thought it was a bit strange, I took my son to the shop and bought the shirt, shorts, and hat.  The ensemble cost ¥5,640/$50.  After purchasing the randoseru and the gym clothes, I'm wondering how some families afford going to public elementary school.  We've only bought two things (albeit the two most expensive items) and we've already spent more than $400.


I now need to iron on the school logo and attach a name tag to the front of the shirt.  As I continue to pick up the other items on the list, I'll need to label those as well.  Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...