Saturday, December 14, 2019

Impressive ride

My husband and I have been debating whether or not to get a coffee table for over 2 years now.  We don't really have room for a permanent one in our living room because I like clear floorspace.  However, I also like to have a space to do puzzles and play games.

In the winter, we spend a lot of time indoors.  In Japan, many families have kotatsu or a low table with a heating element tucked underneath.  We decided before our first winter here to not invest in a kotatsu, but instead go with a heated carpet.  It made sense since it meant it would be a permanent fixture.  But over the past two years, I have yearned for a short table again and again.

Today we were wandering around Nitori, a home store with furniture and decorations.  We were looking for Christmas lights for my Santa-obsessed son.  After locating the lights, we found ourselves back in the coffee table aisle rehashing the debate.  They had coffee tables with foldable legs, so we would be able to store the table when it wasn't in use.  Suddenly the table didn't seem like such an imposition.

After discussing what size table would best fit our needs, we decided on a table that was 90cm by 60cm and 35cm high (35.5"x23.5"x14").  The only issue left was how to get it home.  We had ridden our bikes to the store since it is a 30 minute walk from our house with some hills along the way.  I offered to come another day when I didn't have our son with us so I could perch the table upright in the child seat.  But my husband said he was willing to take it home tonight.

The store employees affixed a handle on the box and my husband carried it out to our bikes.  He would balance the box on the front of his bike and ride one handed, trying not to crash into anyone.

I rode behind my husband, our son sitting on the back of my bike in his child seat.  I was so impressed as he deftly weaved his way around pedestrians, other bikes, and other obstacles.


I laughed and gasped repeatedly as he made his way down the sidewalk.  It was so impressive for a number of reasons, least of all because I doubt I would have attempted the same.


He made it home safely with the table in one piece.  He didn't even start to drop it even when a man almost walked right into him.  Instead, my husband swerved and kept on going.

Tomorrow we will open it up and test it out with a game of Slamwich or Sushi Go, two new games I picked up on our recent trip to the US.  Tonight I shall go to bed with a smile on my face, thinking of my husband's impressive ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...