Saturday, July 27, 2019

A suprise gift

Japanese people tend to be very generous and sharing people.  I don't know if they are like this in general, or just because I am a foreigner.  But I'm regularly surprised with kind gifts and above and beyond sharing.  For example, any time one of the park moms goes somewhere on a trip, they bring back omiyage for everyone in the group.  These gifts tend to be small (individually wrapped) rice crackers, cakes, cookies, or something else edible. 

Yesterday my phone rang shortly after I had left to go on our Hike it Baby adventure to Shinjuku Gyoen.  My friend wanted to bring something over to my house.  I explained that I would be home later in the day and she said she would come over then.

After I returned, she came to my house.  She brought with her 3 beautiful, huge peaches.  She told me that the rainy season had greatly affected the peach crop for farmers.  Too much hail and not enough sunshine means that it will be difficult to get good peaches.  She got a box of peaches as part of a farm share she is a member of.  This very, very kind woman wanted to make sure I could enjoy some of the best Japanese peaches, so she brought them to me as a gift.


This present was beyond kind and generous.  After refrigerating the peaches for a couple hours, we cut one up to share as a family.  It was incredible!  My son did not want to share and I finally had to tell him he couldn't reload his fork until his mouth was empty.  He did not want to share at all!  Honestly, I didn't either, but I did.

We ate another peach today and are saving the last one for tomorrow. 

It was such a kind and thoughtful thing to give to us.  We are so blessed with friends that make a point of sharing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...