Monday, April 15, 2019

The cherries keep blooming

Just when you think the sakura are done for the season, the next round of the beautiful blooms come out. 

The first round of blooms are single-flowering varieties (consisting of just 5 petals).  They are usually pale pink, almost white in appearance.  They are named Somei Yoshino, and are the most common cherry trees in Japan. As the last of these blooms flutter away in the wind, my son and I enjoy the view of "sakura snow".  As the petals dance in the breeze, they float to the ground in a beautiful display of joy.


As the single-flowering varieties disappear, there is another variety that makes you wonder if they are still hanging on.  Ichiyou has the same very light color as the Somei Yoshino, but they have 20-40 petals and the flowers appear along with leaves.  The other major identifier of this blossom is the single pistil, a little single pollen receptive tip, instead of the normal hair-like centers.


One of my favorite trees is Shidarezakura, or the weeping cherry trees.  I went all over during my son's spring break to see these trees at various parks around the city.  They are absolutely breathtaking for me.  I could sit and watch these trees for hours especially when they are near water.


Now the double blossom sakura are catching my eye.  Their cotton candy-like friendliness makes me smile, even on rainy days.  The blooms of the Kanzan are dark pink and have up to 50 petals in each flower.  They are bright and fun and joyful.


At this time of year, I am so grateful to be in the land of the cherry blossoms.  The transformation in this country from winter to spring is through a beautiful unveiling.  They really know how to appreciate the season and welcome it in with gusto and the cherry blossoms participate with gusto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...