Sunday, February 24, 2019

Disney style

Each time we visit Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo Disney Sea, I cannot get over the fashion.  People dress up in Tokyo in general (much more than Seattle anyway), and they can get pretty creative in what they wear.  Entering the world of Disney is just another version of the interesting Japanese fashion sense.

The first thing I notice is all the hats.  There is a whole line of character hats that are the heads of the character.  But the fun doesn't end there.  The character's body is dangling from the back of the hat.  It looks like their head blew up and then grew a human under it.  These hats make me laugh every time.  There are also several headbands that make me chuckle.  What do all these people do with these hats when they get home?  Do they ever wear them again?  I don’t think I have seen a single one outside the wonderful world of Disney.


There is also the choice of footwear.  I cannot comprehend wearing heels to a theme park where you walk miles and miles.  But, there they are.  Women in heels that make my head spin.  I guess there are people who always wear them.  Tokyo is a pedestrian city, and I always see women hoofing it in heels that would break my ankles in a New York minute.  If I wear non-sneakers it is usually Danskos or the like.  However, at Disney, I always wear sneakers.  Comfort over fashion all the way!


Another popular fashion choice is twinning - when two (or more) people dress alike.  I've seen this at Disneyland in California and at Disney World in Florida, but nothing to this extent.  Couples dress exactly the same, down to their footwear.  Families don matching shirts and pants.  Groups of schoolmates color coordinating their outfits.  It is so entertaining to spot these "twinsies" that I make a game out of it.  Of course, no one else in my family is as fascinated with this as I am, but that is okay.


Part of the Disney magic is the fun that people create with their outfits.  Even if it seems outlandish to me, they are enjoying themselves, so who’s to stop them.  It’s all about imagination after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...