Saturday, January 5, 2019

A breath of fresh air - a trip to Kyoto

I can’t even describe the feeling that comes over me as I walk under the torii at Miwa Jinja. I’ve tried explaining that it feels like a breath of fresh air or weight being lifted off my shoulders, but neither fully embrace the magnitude of peace that comes over me. 

My husband first brought me here when we were dating. He told me then that it was his favorite shrine. After walking under the torii, I understood why. At that time, I felt privileged to have him introduce me to a place that was so special to him. Over the years it has become very special to me as well. 

Located in Nara Prefecture, it took us an hour and a half to commute from Kyoto station to Miwa station.  Luckily the shrine is a very short walk from the station.  The entrance was adorned with New Years decorations of pine, bamboo, and colored wires twisted into intricate shapes (they are obscured in my photo by the red berries).



We bowed before entering under the torii as a sign of respect, then we entered the shrine.  We walked up and found the fountain to wash our hands, purifying ourselves, as is custom.  



Typically people worship something at a shrine, a relic or other sacred object protected within a building.  Miwa is different in the fact that the mountain is the sacred object.  In fact, there isn’t a main shrine at Miwa Jinja because the mountain is the shrine.  Instead people walk around to smaller shrines upon the mountain to ask for guidance regarding various forms of cultivation: health, knowledge, money, agriculture, and more.



This type of shrine (extant Shinto shrines) was what Shinto shrines were originally like.  Miwa Jinja is called one of Japan’s original shrines because of it’s history (including location) and connection to some of the earliest religious practices in Japan.  There is evidence of people worshiping at this shrine for over 2,000 years!  You would never know this fact by looking around, as the buildings, walkways, and environment are extremely well taken care of.



We said prayers at several of the small shrines as we hiked around the mountain.  



We also stopped by a large bronze statue of a rabbit.  You rub it where you have pain and it is supposed to help make you feel better.  



There was a special tent set up for New Years with huge Ema underneath.  Anyone could walk up and use the pens provided to write a wish on one of the four Ema (wooden wish plaques).  They were quite beautiful with all the wishes written on them in various colors and handwritings.



Knowing a bit more about the history of Miwa Jinja has helped me to understand both my husband and my feelings about the shrine.  It is a special place that has been collecting and dispersing positive energy for thousands of years.  There is something magical about being there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...