Wednesday, September 5, 2018

A helping hand

Sometimes we all need a little help.  Even when we don't want to ask for it, friends are there to support us when we are down.

Today at school pick up, one of the park moms asked if I was going to be joining them at the park.  I explained that I had hurt my back and couldn't sit on the ground for very long.  She immediately told me I should go home and rest.  She would be happy to take my son to the park to play with friends.

I knew how much he would enjoy that.  But he needed to eat lunch first.  I hadn't packed him a lunch since school got out at 11:30 and I knew I wasn't going to the park.  So, I told her I would bring him over after lunch. 

I gave him a couple options, and he asked to have rice topped with an over easy egg and furikake (rice seasoning with salt, seaweed, and other savory ingredients).  It only took a few minutes to put together since we had leftover rice from last night.  I also gave him some Japanese pickled vegetables, called tsukemono.

Once he was done with lunch, we hopped on the bike and I took him to the park.  I dropped off his snack, water bottle, and bug collecting supplies and headed home.

When I got home, I realized I didn't have my phone.  I was immediately panicked, but then thought, I probably left the phone with the moms accidently.  Instead of stressing, I took some time to relax and ice my back.  The doctor said I needed time to heal and so I'm trying to give it time.

After a couple hours, I headed back to the park to pick up my son.  When I arrived, I asked the moms if they had seen my phone.  Everyone gasped and began looking for my phone.  No one had seen it.  One mom decided to call the service center and the police station.  Thank goodness someone had found my phone and turned it into the police station.   Very rarely does something actually go missing in Japan.  People (for the most part) are incredibly honest.

I left my son again and headed to the police station to get my phone.  Once inside, I was directed to the desk that had my phone.  I asked for it and the woman behind the desk slightly flashed it at me.  But before handing it over, she asked me to fill out a form.  I sighed deeply and asked if I could fill it out in English.  She said that was fine.  I filled out the form as best as possible and a different woman came over to help.  She spoke English and asked me several questions and wanted me to put additional details on the form, like what the background photo was, who was my service provider, and exactly where I had dropped it (which if I knew that it wouldn't have been at the police station!).  She then asked for my ID.  I didn't have it with me.  All I had was my keys because I wasn't planning on going anywhere except to pick up my son. 

I sighed and tried to explain that my back hurt and I didn't want to go home to get it.  I could unlock the screen with my fingertip and show her photos and other identifying information.  She wasn't buying it.  In Japan, rules are rules.  Period.  She wasn't going to give me my phone without an ID. 

More than a little bit upset, I left the police station and headed home to get my ID.  By the time I returned, I was in serious pain and very, very irritated.  I tossed my ID on the counter and very curtly signed the forms where indicated and answered a few more questions.  I noticed the English speaking woman was pretending to be busy in the corner, but at that point I was so mad I didn't care.

As soon as she gave me my phone, I left.  I was so mad at the whole situation.  I still needed to pick up my son.  All I wanted to do was call him from my bike and get out of there.  But I decided I should go over and say thank to you all the moms who helped me by watching my son and finding my phone.  They were all so excited that I got my phone back that my icy heart started to melt a bit.  I laid down on a mat and chatted with a couple of the moms.  Soon I was feeling much better.  The moms had rescued me once again.

These ladies have helped me so many times over the past 10 months since first starting to hang out with them.  We have lots of language barriers, but they are always there to support and rally and cheer me (and each other) on.  I don't know what I would do without them.  Even when I don't want to ask for help, there they are, helping me traverse this crazy place I currently call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...