Monday, November 27, 2017

Cooking a classic

I don't know any meat eaters that don't love karrage.  Karrage is marinated, deep fried chicken in bite size pieces.  And it is delicious.  Well, it can be, anyway!  My husband has always been the one to fry things in our house.  So, taking on this challenge was a bit deal for me.

I made a quick marinade of ginger juice (grating ginger and then squeezing it to get juice), soy sauce, sake, and sesame oil.  After marinating the cut up chicken thighs for a couple minutes, I coated each piece with potato starch.  Then it was time to hit the fryer.  Just a couple minutes in the oil and the chicken was done. 


My family raved about it.  And they ate and ate and ate.  I thought I had made enough for dinner and freezing some for later.  But I was wrong.  By the end of the evening, it was all gone. 

In other cooking news, I made my first batch of baked goods - banana muffins.  They were so delicious.  Just a classic banana bread recipe made in muffin tins.  It was fun to use my oven in a different way, because I had basically been using it for reheating and roasting.  I learned that I need to not fill the oven quite so much, as I had to put the muffins on the outside of the pan back in for a little bit longer.  Always testing and learning.


Cooking makes me really happy.  I enjoy creating in the kitchen and feeding people.  As I learn to work in my Japanese kitchen, I'm still finding a new rhythm.  I'm slowly building up my stock of staples like special flours, yeast, and other baking supplies.  It takes time as I decide what I really need.  I've also noticed that when I was giving away spices, I got a little too excited!  So, hopefully those that received spices from me are utilizing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...