Saturday, October 14, 2017

Sitting and riding in style

The couch was delivered today.  I can't even express how nice it is to be sitting on a couch!  Yes, it has only been two days.  But it was a long 2 days.  And it is a couch that turns into a bed.  So that means no more sleeping on the floor.

When I lived in Osaka, I slept on the floor on a futon for the entire year.  In Japan futons are never on a frame, like in the US.  They are 1-3 inch pads on the floor that are folded up each morning and put in a closet for storage.  My back wasn't always happy, but I survived.  Of course, there were a couple other factors:
  1. I was in my 20's.
  2. My floor was tatami, not hard wood.
  3. I slept on 2 futon mattresses stacked on top of each other.
  4. I was a bit more "go with the flow" back then.
So, until our bed arrives, at least I'm not sleeping on the floor anymore.  Plus sitting on the couch just feels so nice - especially while writing!

I purchased something else to sit on in addition to the couch.  A brand new bicycle with electric assist.  It is the fanciest bicycle I have ever ridden on.  It has a little motor that makes going up hills a breeze.  While at first I thought I didn't want or need it, I realized that I would be responsible for riding with my son on the back a lot of the time and hauling all the groceries from the store to home.  All this added weight can be a lot, so the electric assist will really help. 


My husband also got a bike.  He got the basic model.  It will be nice to have for either of us when we run somewhere without our son (the electric bike weighs a lot). 

We chose not to get our son a bike right now, even though he knows how to ride a bike.  We're worried about releasing him on the streets.  At 4 years old, he isn't focused on paying attention to cars or pedestrians.  Once we get him a bike, we'll practice a lot at the park before letting him ride on the sidewalk/streets.

After paying for our bikes, we had to leave them at the shop for 3 hours to let them prepare the bikes.  They charged by battery, made sure the tires were properly inflated, tighten all the bolts, attached my son's seat, and more.  When we came back they gave my husband a very detailed run down of the bikes and then we were off!  My husband rode my bike with my son on the back because it has been a very long time since I was on a bike.  I felt bad because my dad had given me a nice bike a couple months before we moved, but I was always full of excuses of why I didn't  have enough time to ride.  I wasn't about to take my first ride with my son on the back.  If I spilled, it would only be me suffering, not him. 

I didn't fall.  I didn't even come close to it.  I did, however, notice I was quite nervous when another bike or a pedestrian was headed in my direction.  As soon as I'd get close, I'd tense up, apply the brake, and put my leg down.  I wouldn't stop, but I'd really slow down. 

We made it home in record time.  We got some stuff done and then we headed out for dinner.  It was time for me to ride with my son.  I got the bike out of the bike storage, put my son in the seat, buckled him in and got on the bike. 


It was time to ride.  I got on and pressed down on the pedal.  And it flew!  It was so fast!  We sped down the street.  We rode and rode for 20 minutes until we reached the restaurant.  We enjoyed our sushi dinner.  I can't even describe how much better sushi is in Japan.  My goodness - the quality and variety...  I'll save the details for a future post.

After we ate our fill, it was time to head back.  I put my purse in the basket in the front.  I got my son on the bike a bit more confidently.  I climbed on and oomph!  My butt hurt already!!!  I still needed to ride home.  Oh, bother.  I knew this was going to happen.  I adjusted myself again and again during the ride home.  We made it, but I'm worried about walking tomorrow. 

Just like everything else around here, sometimes going slowly is a better introduction that jumping on that bike for 40 minutes right away.  Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. Bikes + women's butts are the worst.
    We didn't have a couch for about two weeks here in L.A. And prior to moving, we sold our nice couch in Seattle and had an inflatable one for about a month. It was AWFUL--the only "good" thing was the two year old basically had his own bouncy "thing".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy the thought of your two year old on the inflatable couch. So much fun!

      Delete

The time has come to say goodbye

Earlier this year my husband applied for a new job. As usual, I encouraged him as he went through the interview process. It was a long, draw...